We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
The Department of Environment, Land and Indigenous Relations (ELIR) is responsible for managing critical risks and for governance for TC Energy in the United States and Canada. ELIR has a governance role with respect to Environment, Land and Indigenous Relations in Mexico. The risks ELIR manages relate to those impacting access to land, managing legal rights in our key areas (with the assistance of legal counsel) and managing critical reputational risk for TC Energy.
Often, the ELIR team are the first (and only) contact stakeholders and rightsholders have with TC Energy. Given this responsibility, the team of 400 members must be agile, strategic, innovative and willing to manage issues across multiple projects, operations, geographies and jurisdictions, with an eye to maintaining a consistent TC Energy approach. The ability to negotiate with and influence senior stakeholders across multiple departments, regulators and government bodies and third parties is critical to the success of this role.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Environment, Land and Indigenous Relations, the Director, Environment Canada, will be a member of the ELIR Leadership Team, currently comprised of the VP ELIR and seven Directors, who provide strategic direction and governance leadership for ELIR.
The Director must be a strategic thinker who views the challenges and opportunities in the Environment portfolio as one of their key deliverables to the ELIR client groups and to TC Energy Executive and Senior Leadership.
What you’ll do
- Deliver Environment services across our three Business Units (Gas, Liquids and Power and Storage) in Canada
- Partner with Regulatory, Projects, Operations, Public Affairs, Communications and Legal groups to support their work including overseeing all environmental planning and permitting activities, reporting requirements, participation in regulatory applications, writing of ESA and EIS, and participation as a subject matter expert on regulatory panels in Canada
- Provide full spectrum of development, execution, and support for Business Unit projects (both capital and operations) including participation in Project Development Activities, prospecting of new commercial opportunities and strategic advice as the subject matter expert for Environment
- Provide strategic leadership to a team of technically skilled managers with emphasis on developing stronger strategic alignment. Clear correlation of Environment to business outcomes and objectives, and highlighting ELIR risks and opportunities to be considered during business decision making
- Develop expertise in the Environment leadership team on strategy
- Develop expertise in the Environment leadership team on participation in panels and other presentations to senior levels of government, regulators and internal leaders in TC Energy
- Lead the Environment Program which is one of three ELIR programs within TC Energy’s management system
- Develop and assist Business Units in implementing the Environment Program and in managing all legal and voluntary reporting in Environment
- Management review of regulatory applications and present as a witness for regulatory tribunals.
- An undergraduate degree in a related discipline is required
- An MBA, Masters degree or other professional designation would be an asset
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in leadership roles demonstrating the following competencies:
- Building and leading effective teams, collaboration, business partner relationships, decision quality, good judgment, composure, and managing vision and purpose
- Strong and recent experience in leadership roles demonstrating the following competencies:
- People management experience including recruitment, development, coaching, mentoring, and performance management
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated success in contributing to business results.
- Experience with energy infrastructure including regulatory experience and experience in Environment and Land a strong preference
- Experience with managing and building departmental budgets
- Regulatory experience and relationships with external regulators
- A strong visionary and strategic leader with high integrity and follow through
- Demonstrated expertise in managing environment and business relationships
- Ability to consistently identify improvement opportunities and the initiative and courage to implement the improvements
- Strong negotiating and conflict management skills with multiple stakeholders who have differing priorities including business unit and functional group leadership
- Ability to develop strategic and disruptive ideas with specific focus on environment
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, apply systems and processes and simplify complex situations
- An adaptable, candid, open person with a history of “walking the talk” on values
- Ability to work under pressure, meet required deadlines, and manage and organize processes and procedures.
About our business
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
Apply to this posting by 10/20/2019 using reference code 60809. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Use a desktop or laptop computer to avoid system errors.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
* TC Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to provide employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats or communication supports by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.tcenergy.com.