PetroChina Canada (PCC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of PetroChina Company Limited which is partially owned by China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), a state-owned enterprise. CNPC is China’s largest oil company and the world’s third largest oil company, operating 91 energy-related projects in over 35 countries and regions. PCC has invested billions of dollars in an asset-rich portfolio of upstream, midstream and downstream operations. In Alberta, this includes our MacKay River and Dover oilsands projects, Duvernay Shale Gas and a 50% interest in the Grand Rapids Pipeline. In British Columbia, we hold joint venture interests in the Groundbirch tight gas project and LNG Canada.
Why join our team?
- Competitive base salary and variable pay that rewards individual, team, and company performance.
- Comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee well-being.
- Support and empowerment to promote work/life balance.
- Multicultural workplace which actively supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
PCC is looking to fill a Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Analyst role.
Reporting to the Senior Finance Representative, the FP&A Analyst will be a key focal point and liaison between the finance department and the relevant functional/asset teams, involved with providing financial insight and oversight. This role is responsible for developing and supporting financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and management reporting, as well as some monthly accounting responsibilities. As well, the incumbent may be exposed to both commercial and contractual issues related to the relevant asset area. The incumbent will have a strong accounting base, and will leverage that knowledge to develop more in-depth operational reporting analysis and insight. This position will contribute in driving financial analysis across asset business lines to identify solutions to improve financial and operating performance.
Budget & AFE Management
- Support preparation and validation of annual work program & budget. Challenge assumptions from business to ensure accuracy of budgets and alignment with strategic direction
- Ensure sufficient documentation and approval of annual budget along with communication and distribution of approved budget programs to the business units
- Advisor to the business on costs such as capital, exploration expense, research and development and abandonment AFEs/projects, as well as operating expenses,
- Support business unit projects in reviewing AFEs, SAP work breakdown structure, budget change requests, AFE supplements
- Prepare AFE status reports to enable prompt analysis of costs by AFE and proactively identify potential cost overruns
- Establish, maintain and recommend changes to Investment Management Hierarchy (Expenditures Coding), WBS and cost center hierarchy, within the SAP system
- Load capital budget in SAP to correct IM Hierarchy and releases budget funds upon approval of AFE
- Ensuring compliance with AFE standards
Other Financial related activities & Analysis
- Initiate and support monthly forecasts for assigned asset and/or functional areas
- Monitoring of costs, understanding key cost drivers, and providing thorough analysis to identify solutions to improve operating and financial performance
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and adhoc financial presentations for senior leadership meetings providing insightful variance analysis of actual to plan
- Proactively analyze business performance and key performance metrics to provide analytical, strategic and financial support
- Identify risk, challenges, opportunities in monthly report for senior management
- Work with both business and finance teams to identify and record relevant monthly accounting entries
- Ensure functional/asset related financial statements are complete and accurate and finalized within monthly and annual deadlines
- Coordination and preparation of detailed operating and functional view of financial statements and key performance indicators, along with other financial information, as required
- Establish balance sheet integrity through a comprehensive understanding and governance of relevant balance sheet account balances
- Ensure all queries from HQ and auditors (internal and external) are addressed in a timely manner
- Confirm governance requirements through implementation and compliance with financial controls
- Provide strong support and involvement in the annual external financial audit process
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the Finance team by proactively identifying and sharing process improvement opportunities
- Supports the maintenance of all documentation for budget management policies, procedures, standards and templates and updates when necessary for operations
Other Value Add Support
- Ensure familiarity with existing contracts and agreements and provide oversight to ensure contractual terms are being fully utilized and considered
- Utilize financial, joint venture and contractual skills and knowledge to safeguard the company’s assets, while identifying opportunities to maximize asset value
- Exposure to, and engagement in contractual and commercial negotiations as required
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree in Commerce, Finance, Accounting or related discipline
- Professional Accounting Designation will be considered an asset
- Minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience with exposure to financial reporting/budgeting within an oil and gas exploration, development and operations environment
- Knowledge of oil and gas operating/management reporting requirements and ability to utilize accounting knowledge to deliver timely and insightful reports
- Working knowledge of IFRS for upstream oil and gas will be considered an asset
- Experience with joint venture agreements will be considered an asset
- Experience utilizing influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-disciplinary team environment, and with individuals at all levels within an organization
- Hands-on experience and proficiency with SAP
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral); experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to both operations management and executive leaders
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills
- Confident, detail orientated and enthusiastic team player
- Flexible and able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities; capable of handling pressure and challenges in a dynamic business environment
To apply for this job please visit petrochinacanada.startdate.ca.