Vertex is currently accepting applications for one full-time, permanent Geotechnical Engineering Manager in Vancouver, British Columbia. The successful candidate will work closely with our VP of Engineering to grow and manage our Geotechnical Engineering service line and will be responsible for the technical execution and growth of geotechnical engineering projects within Canada and the United States. The position will be client-facing, working both internally and externally to manage relationships such that technical problems are solved and client expectations are exceeded. While reporting to the VP of Engineering, the candidate will be a member of the consulting services senior management team, with primary responsibility for the profitable growth of the service line.
- Bachelor’s degree in geotechnical or civil engineering
- Master’s degree is considered a strong asset
- Registered as a P.Eng in Alberta (APEGA)
- Be a Responsible Member for Geotechnical Engineering Service Line
- 10 to 15 years of direct experience in Geotechnical Engineering
- Seven years leading a geotechnical team of professionals in some capacity
- Geohazard, slope stability, and infrastructure resilience experience is considered a strong asset
- Prior experience within the geotechnical consulting industry is considered an asset
- Experience working with a client base and business development activities
- Excellent communicator and team player with strong technical, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage and organize several projects and assignments, delivering on budget in a timely manner
- Proficiency with MS Excel, Power BI, and Power Pivot
- Willing to travel and spend various length of time in the field
- Develop and manage Geotechnical Engineering service offering within a diverse Environment and Engineering firm. Looking for service synergies where applicable and developing new teams and services as required.
- Responsible for technical growth and continual improvement of Geotechnical Engineering Service Line including but not limited to assessments related to roads, pipelines, powerlines, telecommunication towers, foundation assessment and design, oilsands operations, residential and commercial developments, constructed ponds, developments in muskeg, linear development crossing assessments including HDD and trenchless crossings.
- The Geotechnical service line should include engineering design as well geohazard, slope stability, pipeline and other linear asset stability analysis, watercourse bank stability, and infrastructure resilience offerings.
- Evaluating and applying engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to assist in engineering design, data analysis of geotechnical investigations, construction engineering and project management
- Perform, guide and conduct senior review of detailed engineering analysis, design and reporting for assigned projects
- Design and conduct field investigations, site investigations, compliance and technical reports.
- Manage and mentor a team of professional and technical staff assigned on a project basis.
- Develop a skilled team of geotechnical professionals across multiple geographic locations
- Cross training existing personnel in office and satellite office locations to effectively collect data, and complete field related tasks locally.
- Business development, including liaising with clients and stakeholders with the goal of building and maintaining strong working relationships
- Talent development, including the recruitment and mentoring of other professionals
- Work closely with Executive team on the growth and development of the geotechnical, and engineering disciplines.
- Work remotely and develop systems with our IT group to effectively collaborate with personnel (office and field) and clients from multiple geographic locations and operating centers.
- This position will be located out of our Vancouver, BC office, however, the position is open to other locations in Western Canada.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefits package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.