Vertex is currently accepting applications for full-time, permanent Intermediate Environmental Scientist in Calgary, Alberta. As an Intermediate Environmental Scientist, you will have a diverse skill-set and experience in environmental site assessment (ESA), remediation and reclamation projects. You will play a critical role in the execution of all aspects of the project safely and efficiently, while delivering cost-effective solutions that exceeds our client’s expectations. This position reports directly under the guidance of the Environmental Manager.
- Bachelor degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, reclamation and/or related discipline
- A minimum 8 year experience in managing assessment, reclamation, remediation and monitoring projects for oil and gas clients, preferably within a consulting environment
- Membership or eligibility for membership in a professional organization
- Experience in project management in upstream oil and gas projects is an asset
- Planning and conducting Phase II ESAs including drilling, soil sampling and groundwater monitoring
- In-depth knowledge of ESIA and regulatory requirements across Western Canada and within provinces
- Strong client management and communication skills are essential
- Superior, and demonstrated, verbal and written communication skills, specifically technical report writing
- Passion for teamwork and training/mentoring junior field staff
- Experience with alternative remediation and risk assessment strategies
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationship with municipalities, First Nation communities, and other government entities
- Possession of a valid Alberta driver’s license is required
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- ‘Can-do’ attitude and the ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Current industry safety tickets a plus (First Aid, H2S Alive, Ground Disturbance)
- Execute project requirements, cost control; and project scoping, field work (approx. 80% field work), and reporting documentation
- Conduct Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESA’s)
- Planning and conducting Phase ll ESA’s including, drilling, soil sampling and groundwater monitoring
- Participate and facilitate investigations pertaining to environmental incidents (spills)
- Responsible to build both internal and external relationships within Vertex, with regulators and clients to effectively develop and manage projects within the environmental business unit
- Coordinate and assist with internal project managers and environmental technical discipline leads for a timely execution of project deliverable and preparation of documentation
- Involvement in provincial contaminated sites assessment and site remediation
- Leads specific tasks/projects related to field supervision
- Mentor and coach junior field staff
- Have a strong ability to influence and communication
- Other related duties as assigned
- This position will be based out of our Calgary, Alberta with some travel.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- Potential for Employee RRSP Profit Sharing
- Learning and development opportunities
- A culture of performance and accountability
- A supportive and positive team environment
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.