Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Intermediate Soil Specialist in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate will have previous field experience, and project management that focuses on baseline soil inventory and classification, soil and terrain mapping, soil conservation and reclamation planning, soil salvage and reclamation monitoring, and well site reclamation including pre-reclamation assessments. Experience in C&R planning and baseline inventory associated with peat harvesting operations, in-situ oil sands, pipelines and coal and oil sands mines is an asset. The successful candidate must be thorough and able to synthesize information into well-supported and well-structured reports.
- Diploma or higher post-secondary education in, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Reclamation, Natural Resource Management or other applicable field
- Between 3-6 years of applied soil science and reclamation in Western Canada in a range of sectors
- Experience in managing junior staff for field program execution
- Registered member with a relevant professional organization preferred
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret applicable environmental regulations, guidelines and standards for Western Canada
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian soils, vegetation, and reclamation practices
- Project management, self-motivation, communication and decision-making skills an asset
- Strong command of the English language including but not limited to excellent writing, grammar, spelling and formatting
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Attention to detail and experience preparing well-designed, error-free documents
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and provide recommendations to clients
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, and Access databases
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 60-70% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Implement environmental monitoring & inspection for linear and Oil Sands projects
- Soil baseline inventory in conjunction with environmental monitoring and vegetation baseline assessments
- Reclamation planning and oversight for conventional oil and gas as well large-scale facilities
- Management of Sand and Gravel regulatory and biophysical project components including reporting and regulatory liaison
- Technical reporting associated with submissions related to Peat Harvesting, PDAs, and EPEA related projects
- Reporting (All types, style and formats within Vertex)
- Responsible for project scoping to ensure effectively versatile solutions are developed to meet client’s regulatory needs and budgets
- Responsible for both field and office execution of environmental projects
- Responsible for proposal writing and budgeting for various soil related projects, as required
- Keep up to date on industry guidelines and regulatory requirements as it relates to reclamation and revegetation for various provinces in Canada
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected by field personnel
This position will be based out of our Sherwood Park , Alberta office.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- RRSP Plan
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill-set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. MST on July 23, 2020.
Applications submitted after this date may not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.