Vertex is currently accepting applications for a Junior Environmental Scientist in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The successful candidate must have an understanding of data management procedures, technical writing skills and demonstrated competence in challenging field conditions. Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, willing to travel throughout Western Canada, and enjoy working in the field for extended periods of time. Reporting to an Environmental Project Manager, the Environmental Scientist must be able to work both independently and as part of a team and is expected to progressively take on additional responsibilities.
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Botany, Forestry, Environmental Science or other applicable field
- Plant identification skills, wildlife identification or water quality sampling an asset
- Soil classification and identification of soil horizons is a key asset for this position, soil salvage monitoring will comprise a portion of the role.
- Previous experience working around large equipment and machinery is preferred.
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS and aerial photos for navigation in the field is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to drive trucks and/or a variety of off-road vehicles in rough terrain
- Experience towing trailers and basic mechanical skills
- Comfortable working in remote locations, with access by truck, ATV, Argo, helicopter, or small plane
- Physically capable of and willing to access work sites by foot, sometimes in wet and/or steep conditions
- Experience using spreadsheets and GIS programs
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and decision-making skills
- Able to think critically, problem solve, and prioritize time and effort effectively
- Professional conduct, strong interpersonal skills and be a positive energy to the role
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to gain field experience in remote locations
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel within Western Canada, as required
- Drug and Alcohol screening will be required prior to employment
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 90% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Monitoring soil salvage and placement operations
- Monitor soil conservation and reclamation activities
- Prepare various environmental reports
- Keep up to date on industry guidelines and regulatory requirements as it relates to reclamation and revegetation for various provinces in Canada.
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts.
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected in the field.
- Other duties as directed by your direct supervisor or manager
- This position will be based out of Fort McMurray, Alberta
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- Opportunity for advancement
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.