Vertex is currently accepting applications for full time permanent Junior Environmental Scientist in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of reclamation and remediation concepts and regulations in Alberta, including detailed site assessments (DSA), oil sands exploration (OSE) programs, Phase 1 and 2 processes, and field-based knowledge of soil and vegetation identification. The successful candidates will also possess a keen eye for detail, demonstrate strong technical writing skills, be a critical thinker, organized and proficient in excel. This position reports directly to a Project Manager and will have an estimated time ratio of 70:30 (office: field based).
- Diploma or higher post-secondary in Environmental Sciences or related disciplines
- Minimum 2 years related experience
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Strong multi-tasking skills with an ability to prioritize work and effectively meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS and aerial photos for navigation in the field is advantageous
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines and standards
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat
- Demonstrated communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time (when required)
- Prepare various environmental reports
- Organized and manage large data sets, including financial data and technical results and field notes
- Keep up to date on industry guidelines
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected by field personnel
- Ensuring data is available and appropriately maintained
- Occasional site visits to conduct file review and/or to complete assessments may be required
- Supporting with invoicing and outstanding balances
- Supporting project manager with other duties relating to the day to day operations
- Communication with project managers
This position will be based out of Sherwood Park, Alberta. Limited travel involved.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill-set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.