Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Junior Environmental Scientist in Calgary, Alberta. The successful candidates will have experience dealing with site assessments (Phase I and II ESAs), groundwater monitoring and remediation. The successful candidates will also possess a keen eye for detail, demonstrate strong technical writing skills, be critical thinkers, and will enjoy working in the field for extended periods of time. Reporting to an Environmental Project Manager, the Junior Environmental Scientist must be someone who is willing to travel and take additional responsibilities as the position/project evolves.
- Diploma or higher post-secondary education in Reclamation, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Natural Resource Management or other applicable field
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS and aerial photos for navigation in the field is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to drive trucks and/or a variety of off-road vehicles in rough terrain
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines and standards
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word and Excel
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to gain field experience in remote locations
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel within Western Canada, as required
- Ability to problem solve
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 80% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Environmental site assessments (Phase I and II ESAs)
- Supervise and direct remediation activities
- Groundwater monitoring
- Monitor soil conservation and reclamation activities
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected by field personnel
- Data management (data tables, photographs, inputting field data sheets, analysis and interpretation)
- Reporting (all types, styles and formats that Vertex produces)
- Keep up-to-date on industry guidelines and regulatory requirements as it relates to reclamation and revegetation for various provinces in Canada
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts
- This position will be based out of Calgary, Alberta.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.