Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time Junior Environmental Scientist (Weed Sprayer) in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing upstream oil and gas and industrial projects in accordance with Vertex guidelines and project scopes. This role will have focus on assessment remediation and reclamation projects. This individual will play a critical role in the execution of all aspects of the project while delivering a cost-effective approach that exceeds our client’s expectations.
- Diploma or higher post-secondary education in Reclamation, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Natural Resource Management or other applicable field
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate or Authorized Applicators Certificate of Training is a requirement
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS and aerial photos for navigation in the field is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to drive trucks and/or a variety of off-road vehicles in rough terrain
- Knowledge of Prohibited Noxious and Noxious weed identification as per the Alberta Weed Control Act is a requirement
- Knowledge of Canadian soils, vegetation and reclamation practices is considered an asset
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines and standards
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word and Excel
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to gain field experience in remote locations
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel within Western Canada, as required
- Ability to problem solve
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Drug and Alcohol screening will be required prior to employment
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 85% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Work on a variety of oil and gas sites to execute spray programs and monitor vegetation
- Complete weed surveys on active and non-active sites to determine weed management programs
- Conduct weed management via backpack or Argo applications
- Complete soil and vegetation assessments while supporting a lead conducting DSA and OSE assessments
- Conduct vegetation assessments and soil monitoring as required
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected by field personnel
- Data management (data tables, photographs, inputting field data sheets, analysis and interpretation)
- Reporting (all types, styles and formats that Vertex produces)
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts
- Responsible for project coordination, cost control and project scoping to ensure effectively versatile solutions are developed to meet client’s regulatory needs and budgets
- Responsible for both field and office execution of environmental projects with an emphasis on field work
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- This position will be based out of Sherwood Park, Alberta, however the majority of the work will be out of town.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.