OPERATOR, NORTHWEST HYDRO FACILITIES – FORREST KERR, BC
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Manager Operations, this position is responsible for all aspects of routine day-to-day operations, as well as routine maintenance and facility emergency repairs. Additionally, candidates should be technologically savvy with the desire to train as the plant control room operator. The ideal incumbent will have experience operating a similar run-of-river hydro generating station, with experience as an Industrial Electrician tradesperson. However, the role is also suited to a Journeyman Millwright or other certified/qualified candidates with hands on experience in plant maintenance from other industries.
What you’ll be doing:
- Monitoring and controlling all plant equipment at all three of the Northwest Hydro Generating Facilities. This includes powerhouses, intakes, switchyards, roads and transmission lines
- Day-to-day inspection and recording of operating parameters including output levels, temperatures, vibration levels and condition status
- Investigating and repairing major and minor equipment faults – both electrical and mechanical on a 24/7 basis while on duty
- Assisting with planning major maintenance activities
- Completing routine and unplanned maintenance as part of the team which may or may not include outside contractors
- Preparing or assisting with the preparation of operation and maintenance reports
- Monitoring and reporting on river flows and other environmental factors
- Responsible for coordinating LOTO’s and issuing work permits
- Responsible for coordinating and monitoring work at the facilities in a safe and responsible manner
- Communicating to multi-disciplinary teams, contractors and the shift lead on plant activities to ensure safe and reliable operation of the plants
What you must have:
- Experience with hands on electrical maintenance of industrial equipment required
- Experience in run-of-river hydro generating station would be considered an asset
- Computer savvy with experience in MS Word, Excel and office suite software
- Experience with industrial control systems such as SAP or similar
- Consideration will be given to candidates with the following trades/certifications that also have experience with hands on electrical maintenance on industrial equipment:
- Journeyman Electrician
- Heavy Duty Mechanic / Millwright may also be considered
- A valid driver’s license is required
About this Opportunity:
Transportation to site is provided. A permanent camp has been constructed for the operations team. The facilities include private rooms, bathrooms, a weight room, entertainment area and other amenities. The schedule will be 14 days on followed by 14 days off. Note that travel days occur on days outside of the 14 day shift. During time on, Operators will be “on-call” in the case of emergencies. On-the-job training will be provided
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.
AltaGas hires personnel on the basis of job-related qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a Person’s ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.