OPERATOR TECH 4 – Ridley Island Propane Export Terminal
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Supervisor, Operations, and following directions from the Operator Tech 1, this position is responsible for safely offloading of Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) railcars. This position is part of the International Longshore & Warehouse Union, Local 523B. ILWU local 523 is located and represented within the Prince Rupert community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure the safe operation of the terminal by maintaining awareness for personal safety and that of co-workers, outside contractors and customers
- Adhere to all AltaGas Policies, Standards, Procedures and Practices
- Recognize and avoid inappropriate risks, consider the consequences and impact and consult with senior personnel before taking action
- Participate as a member of the Emergency Response Team; actively participate in emergency situations (fire/spill) when required
- Report and investigate facilities’ safety incidents
- Visually inspect the railcar to be involved in the upcoming transfer in order to ensure that everything is mechanically sound and there is no defective equipment before offloading
- Sample railcar contents and place sample in a chromatograph, record results from chromatograph, along with physical conditions (pressure, temperature, railcar tank level)
- Unload railcars according to offloading procedure
- Check volume of the railcar after offloading to ensure railcar is empty
- Complete appropriate paperwork/documentation after offloading
- Perform track inspections and railcar inspections
- Preform minor facility maintenance as required
- Assist senior operators in other plant activities when there are no railcars to unload, or as instructed
- Perform general housekeeping duties (Keep work area clean, shovel snow when required)
What you must have:
- Ideal candidate will have at least 2 years’ experience working as a railcar loader or off loader
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- S.A.I.T’s Gas Processing Operations Level A and B preferred
- Proficient computers skills with (Excel, Word & Outlook)
- Must possess the physical capabilities to safely perform all essential aspects and responsibilities of a Terminal Operator position
- Must possess the mechanical aptitude to capably handle the operation of terminal equipment and maintenance skills
- Demonstrated safety mindset; ability to actively participate in all safety initiatives
- Ability to participate as an active member of the Emergency Response Team
- Gas plant and power generation experience would be considered an asset
- Railcar Safety & Securement Certification considered an asset
- Track Inspection Level II Certification considered an asset
- Must have a valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- This is a Safety Sensitive position and requires candidates successfully complete pre-employment testing
Applicants with more advanced qualifications are welcome to apply. The successful candidate may be hired at a more senior level depending on their education and experience.
Where you’ll be working:
The Ridley Island Propane Export Terminal is located on Ridley Island near Prince Rupert, British Columbia, on a section of land leased by Ridley Terminals Inc. from the Prince Rupert Port Authority. The brownfield site has a history of industrial development and benefits from excellent railway access and a world class marine jetty with deep water access to the Pacific Ocean. To learn more about working on the Ridley Island Propane Export Terminal visit RIPET.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
AltaGas hires personnel on the basis of job related qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a person’s ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or expression, age, record or offences, marital status, family status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.