About the Orphan Well Association
The Orphan Well Association (OWA) is an independent non-profit organization that operates under the delegated legal authority of the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER). Our mission is to decommission Orphan oil and gas infrastructure in the Alberta oil and gas sector and reclaim the land to its original state in a safe, principled and cost-efficient manner. Orphan properties are wells, pipelines, facilities and associated sites that have been left behind by defunct or insolvent companies and that have been designated as orphans by the AER.
Since beginning operations in 2002, the OWA has decommissioned more than 7,300 wells with about 2,100 sites reclaimed. This work has allowed municipalities, farmers, ranchers and recreational users to reconnect with what the landscape has to offer.
About the Role
The Senior Well Decommissioning Coordinator is an integral part of our Operations team, with responsibility for successfully coordinating and project managing a portfolio of well sites in Alberta. As a seasoned Senior Well Decommissioning Coordinator, you will have a passion for the work that we do, and a talent for working with prime contractors, engineers, and other professionals to ensure that all abandoned wells are taken out of service safely, with no harm to the public or the environment, and that all relevant regulations are met during the closure activities.
This position reports to our Director, Operations and is located in the Calgary office. Some field travel will be required.
- Manage a portfolio of sites within the Decommissioning group of the OWA.
- Manage an assigned project budget by work scope, by geographic area, and by prime contractor, and assign work to prime contractors based on their area knowledge and best fit for the type of work.
- Review new orphan wells to prioritize inventory and maximize Area-Based Closure efficiencies.
- Work with prime contractors to develop suitable cost estimates and well abandonment programs to maximize results.
- Support the decommissioning operations budget and work with the Director, Operations to prioritize and assign downhole work within the decommissioning team.
- Participate in the Association safety program by:
- demonstrating safety leadership;
- prequalifying vendors, reviewing and evaluating the safety program of prime contractors;
- ensuring Association’s commitment to safety, and related policies and requirements, are clearly communicated and adhered to by prime contractors and sub-contractors;
- Conducting safety assessments and engagements in the field and the office to assess prime contractors for safety management and technical ability, and following up on safety incidents with prime contractors.
- Work with prime contractors to ensure OWA policies and expectations are clearly communicated and adhered to.
- Partner with the Association Contracts Specialist as required to procure prime contractor(s), including development of RFP documents, proposal evaluation, rate negotiations and vendor selection/award.
- Review and approve well abandonment programs, project cost estimates, AFEs and AFE supplementals.
- Review/resolve disputes related to Prime MSAs/rates/charges.
- Develop work plans with the prime contractors, including kickoff meetings and lookbacks.
- Provide direction and support to field operations as needed to ensure the OWA operations are managed in a safe, principled and efficient way.
- Respond to landowner, vendor, regulator, or other stakeholder requests and ensure timely delivery of information and resolution of issues.
- Ensure appropriate and adequate stakeholder contact and communication is upheld and where appropriate, inspections are completed by the prime contractor.
- Timely review, coding, dispute resolution and approval of invoices.
- Ensure field data capture is accurate and complete daily and that end-of-well information is filed.
- Track, record, and report on operational activities and expenditures.
- Work collaboratively and provide mentorship and guidance to other members of the decommissioning team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years’ experience in well abandonment programming, well file review and cost estimates in a variety of oil and gas fields in Alberta; experience in abandonments, production or completion operations is preferred.
- Extensive experience supervising field abandonment operations including taking daily calls and troubleshooting field problems.
- Knowledgeable about regulatory requirements for well abandonment operations and non-routine well abandonment applications, including AER, OH&S and Alberta Environment & Parks.
- Familiar with DDS system.
- Able to analyze cased hole logs and open hole logs to provide input on potential remedial cementing sources.
- Experience in remedial repairs, specifying perforating, cement blends and cementing techniques, and alternate technologies.
- Some field-based experience is an asset.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, Qbyte, Peloton, Acumap, SiteView and GIS based software.
- Strong informal leadership skills with proven ability to motivate and manage people effectively.
- Strong verbal and written communication, risk based decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, to communicate expectations clearly, and to follow up on performance concerns.
- Analytical and critical thinker with excellent organizational abilities who is able to set and deliver on priorities on time.
- Ability to identify gaps in processes and willing to step in to help address them.
- Attention to detail, able to manage time wisely and can work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to review and apply proven technologies to improve efficiencies and remedial repair success rates.
- Post-secondary education in engineering-related field (e.g., BSc. B.Applied Sc.) is required.
- Professional designation (e.g., P.Eng.) is required.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to send your cover letter and resume in confidence to HR@orphanwell.ca by January 19, 2024, including “Senior Well Decommissioning Coordinator” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.