The Orphan Well Association (OWA) is an independent non‐profit organization that operates under the delegated legal authority of the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER). Our funding comes from the upstream oil and gas industry to abandon and reclaim orphan properties. Orphan properties are wells, pipelines, facilities and associated sites which have been left behind by defunct or insolvent companies and are designated as orphans by the AER.
The OWA is searching for a qualified Environmental Coordinator to join our team for a 12-month term. The position will report directly to the Environmental & Safety Team Lead and will be based in Calgary but will require occasional visits to review field operations.
- Managing a portfolio of wellsites within the environmental group of the OWA
- Environmental planning of coordinator’s assigned area, to move sites forward efficiently through the phases of reclamation
- Review and approve reclamation and remediation projects ensuring technical aspects are efficiently met and projects are completed safely, managing AFE’s for coordinator’s projects
- Review environmental reports (such as Environmental Site Assessments and Remedial Action Plans) and conduct professional review of reclamation certificate applications
- Update the OWA’s database (SiteView) with relevant information as each project moves through the environmental phases
- Assess cost estimates for remediation and reclamation work to ensure costs are appropriate; work towards improving cost efficiencies on projects
- Manage landowner/occupant contact with the consultant
- Review and approval of invoices for costs and coding
- Reporting weekly, monthly and quarterly basis as required to environmental team lead
- Participate in the OWA’s safety program by:
* ensuring commitment to safety and policies are clearly communicated and adhered to by consulting firms (prime contractors)
* manage the safety with the prime contractors for environmental coordinator’s projects
* conducting safety visits in the field to assess prime contractors for safety and technical ability
* following up on safety incidents with prime contractors
- Five to ten years of experience in the oil and gas industry with experience in reclamation, environmental assessment, remediation, and project management
- Several years of field experience completing Phase 1 ESAs, Phase 2 ESAs, remediation, reclaiming of wellsites, detailed site assessments for soil and vegetation
- Experience managing reclamation and remediation operations and resolving environmental technical and field issues during operations
- Knowledgeable about regulatory requirements for the oil and gas industry, particularly Alberta Environment & Parks, AER and OH&S regulations
- Working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, SiteView
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Organized, able to set priorities, attention to detail
- Able to promptly review environmental reports, assign the next phase of work in a timely fashion, and update information in the OWA’s database (SiteView)
- Post-secondary education in environmental related field is required
- Professional designation is required (P. Eng., P. Geo., P. Ag., R.P.F., R.T.Ag.)
Please send cover letter and résumé in confidence to HR@orphanwell.ca by March 18, 2020 including “Environmental Coordinator” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@orphanwell.ca.