Reference Code: 84021
Location: Canada (CA) – Calgary, AB
Job Category: Communications/Marketing
Employment Type: Employee Full-time
Relocation Eligibility: This position is not eligible for our relocation program
Application Deadline: 05/07/2021
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
The Sustainability & Policy (S&P) team is seeking a Policy Analyst as it drives TC Energy’s united, consistent approach to major public policy issues across our North American footprint. The S&P team was created to provide a credible, centralized hub delivering business value in developing and implementing TC Energy’s sustainability and public policy strategies to align with and advance the corporate strategy. The policy function is responsible, among other activities, for:
- developing enterprise-wide policy positions, supporting and amplifying policy advocacy to facilitate business execution
- coordinating and seeking alignment on sustainability- and policy-related issues across business units, corporate functions and jurisdictions
- proactively monitoring and assessing the relevance of global trends; conducting research and benchmarking
- driving value extraction and coordination of key industry associations.
We are seeking a candidate with knowledge and experience in the intersection between the public and private sectors, particularly in the energy infrastructure industry. The candidate will independently lead and/or support senior team members (depending on the scope and materiality of issues) in developing and executing public policy positions with sensitivity to unique regional or business considerations.
The candidate will be responsible for coordinating and supporting responses to emerging government priorities and consultation, including collaboratively gathering input and building consensus from diverse internal stakeholders. You will partner with groups across multiple lines of business and jurisdictions, leveraging your critical thinking, systems approach, organizational and communication skills. Collaboration will be paramount.
While the candidate will focus on Canadian issues, there is the potential to work on international, U.S. and Mexican issues as a part of S&P’s full portfolio and as resource requirements dictate.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Manager, Sustainability & Policy, and in collaboration with senior and junior members of the team, the successful candidate will:
- Chair meetings and work with internal teams to develop positions and written documentation capturing TC Energy’s perspectives and rationale to share with industry associations, government and regulator
- Draft responses to government consultation, seek feedback and rationalize differing perspectives into cohesive, accessible messages that can be shared externally
- Coordinate and facilitate industry association engagement; including coordinating meetings and compiling briefings for senior and executive leadership
- Assist in prioritizing, developing and executing proactive public policy positions and advocacy plans
- Support intelligence-sharing within the team and with our internal partners and clients
- Coordinate and compile regular internal reporting
- Contribute to sustainability- and policy-related external reporting (e.g. Sustainability and ESG Reports, third party surveys, other public reporting)
- As appropriate, attend industry association or other third-party organizational meetings and report back to internal stakeholders
- Undergraduate degree or post-secondary education in public policy, political science, business/commerce or relevant discipline
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of Canadian government, legislative, regulatory and general policy development processes
- Ability to research and synthesize technical and non-technical information into concise, engaging and easy to understand language in multiple formats depending on audience; particularly written communication
- Curious and motivated to learn, continually improve and work with a wide variety of internal stakeholders
- Organize and complete activities on multiple projects concurrently and in a timely manner, balancing detailed tasks with the priorities and pressures of the broader, macro environment
- Challenges the status quo and asks questions to understand background on processes and procedures
- Ability to follow through on commitments
- Strong knowledge in MS Word, Powerpoint and Sharepoint/Teams
- Able to weigh issues, navigate ambiguity and recommend solutions based on the available information
- Effective facilitation to create focus in a group, manage time and create a psychologically safe environment for eliciting perspectives
- Shows effective navigation strategies (able to determine where/who to go to) when seeking resources, decisions or information
- Able to leverage negotiating strategies and tactics to reach mutually agreeable solutions
- Familiarity with the energy infrastructure industry
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through
- Proficiency in Excel
About our business
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
Apply to this posting by 05/07/2021 using reference code 84021. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Applications may be submitted using a mobile device or a desktop / laptop computer.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
* TC Energy is committed to provide employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats or communication supports by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.tcenergy.com.