Reference Code: 72075
Location: Canada (CA) – Calgary, AB
Job Category: Engineering
Employment Type: Employee Full-time
Relocation Eligibility: This position is not eligible for our relocation program
Application Deadline: 07/09/2020
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
Our Keystone XL Facilities Engineering team is seeking Project Engineers to join their team. Reporting to the Facilities Engineering Manager, these Engineers will work closely with Construction Project Managers, Discipline Engineers and Engineering Contractors. Initially, the focus of the Project Engineers will be on construction execution.
These positions will be based in Calgary, AB with travel to CA and US field locations during project construction as required.
*Please note: Travel will be required from time to time between the US and Canada (and will require a valid passport).
What you’ll do
Support Project Manager
• Assist the assigned Project Manager in planning, directing, supervising, and controlling the execution of the technical, fiscal, and administrative functions of the project
o Review construction documentation such as Project Execution Plans, construction scopes of work and other execution related documentation to ensure completeness with respect to the engineering requirements
o Work with Project Controls to document budget trends and updates, schedule updates and required revisions
• Assists the integration of various engineering, permitting, scheduling, purchasing, construction, and start-up aspects of project in accordance with contractual obligations
• Kickoff and Status Meetings – as directed by the PM, prepare agendas, presentations, notes, action items, and status reports
• Contractor Deliverables – Ensure all contractor deliverables are reviewed and submitted prior to the start of construction
• Health, Safety, Environmental
o Participate in any investigations of incidents or near misses
o Prepare a list of any opportunities for improvements from field engineers, contractors, or observations and share with the Quality team
o Understand the site-specific environmental permits and safety and health risks
• Support the technical communication of the engineering portion of the project to the field engineers and contractors
• Change Order Management
o Will notify the project manager of potential change orders and its estimated impact on cost and schedule
o Will assist in the development of any scope of engineering work, schedules, and budgets (engineering and/or construction) for the change order
o Oversee the implementation of approved change orders which includes monitoring progress of construction, cost, schedule, and quality
• Construction Closeout
• Work with Construction teams to support construction activities such as RFI coordination and resolution, design and specification interpretation
• Provide review input in construction Scopes of Work (SoWs)
• Perform construction site visits as required during construction, to resolve issues and verify conformance to design
• Support project commissioning, turnover, start-up and initial operations
• Act as a proxy during absence of a field engineer
• Relationship Building
o Establish a first name basis with field engineers, chief inspectors, construction manager, and key contractor personnel
• Obtains, analyzes, and circulates contractual information to project disciplines
• Act as a Lead Engineer to review design documents resolving conflicting comments and issues with reviewers
• Coordinate with internal stakeholders, subject matter experts and project technical team on design reviews and issue resolution
• Support assessment of proposed design modifications, including well documented business case and Decision Summaries for future reference and alignment with stakeholders
• Support the onboarding process of field engineers and other project engineers as needed
• Maintain and augment good working relationship with engineering contractor and champion the ‘One Team’ Philosophy
• Support the creation, refinement and execution of project deliverables such as, execution plans, construction Requests for Proposal (RFP) packages, classified cost estimates, schedules, risk management plans and inspection plans
• Support gathering information from field teams to support project engineering drawing redlining
• Provide direct support to Project Manager creating deliverables for decisions and milestone
• Provide support and guidance to field engineers, escalating issues to PMT as necessary
• Assist with the review and evaluation of scope changes during construction
• Ensure communication of Design Change Notices (DCNs) from Engineering Management Team to the Construction Management Team and Contractor
• Provide guidance and mentorship to junior project engineers
• Ensure the engineering process, procurement and construction support activities meet the project, and vendors quality processes
• Ensure all changes to design follow a diligent documented interdisciplinary Management of Change process
• Ensure vendor and contractor ITPs are reviewed and accepted prior to the start of work
• University Engineering Degree required
• Professional Engineer registered with APEGA or equivalent governing body
• 6 – 10 years of related experience
• Ability to apply business principles to identify and rationalize solutions
• Proactive approach in identifying emerging issues for early resolution
• Negotiation skills with the ability to manage both internal and external stakeholder expectations
• Strong team orientation, demonstrating a high level of cooperation and collaboration
• Self-starter that can work well within a team environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
• Solid background in quality management methods and processes
• Adaptability in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and challenges
*These positions require candidates to:
• Have and maintain a valid Driver's License
• Provide a driver's abstract for review
About our business
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
Apply to this posting by 07/09/2020 using reference code 72075. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Applications may be submitted using a mobile device or a desktop / laptop computer.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
* TC Energy is committed to provide employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats or communication supports by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.tcenergy.com.