The Urban Development Project Manager, as a key member of the Integrity Crossings teams, will be instrumental in shaping and managing TransCanada’s urban development concerns for new developments such as industrial, commercial or residential areas that encroach upon TransCanada’s existing pipeline(s) right-of-way (ROW). New developments near the pipeline right-of-way (ROW) typically cause an increase in population near the pipeline which may trigger a class location change in accordance with CSA Z662. New developments are also associated with increased construction activity which impose a heightened mechanical damage concern for TransCanada’s pipelines. The Integrity Crossings Team partnered with Land, Damage Prevention and Class teams work together with External Land Consultants to identify new developments at the early stages when the developments are first being conceptualized in order to provide feedback to developers on regulatory requirements and TransCanada’s Damage Prevention guidelines to ensure new development plans are safe and reduce the impact to TransCanada. The Integrity Crossings team, under the Risk & Engineering Strategy Team within Pipeline Integrity, currently manages urban development applications when developers apply for permanent crossing agreements (which are very often associated with new developments); new development plans are reviewed and negotiated to determine whether the activities and permanent infrastructure proposed is acceptable; crossings are analyzed from a surface loading and longterm integrity perspective; and remedial work required as a result of the development is identified, communicated and added to the Master Plan.
***Ability is to travel to other company locations for temporary assignments, meetings or training is required; these may involve overnight stays away from home.
- Develop an urban development program and provide governance, oversight and support for the region;
- Improve urban development application assessment time frames with improved procedures / processes to reduce workload;
- Communicate TransCanada’s landscaping requirements to developers at early stages;
- Work with municipalities to adopt TransCanada’s landscaping guidelines;
- Participate on industry committees / associations (CEPA) to spearhead best practices regarding urban development programs;
- Attend monthly external land consultant meetings to understand status of new developments and determine whether Integrity Crossings has seen any related crossings associated with the work;
- Manage urban Development applications as they come into the Integrity Crossings group and coordinate key stakeholder feedback – resolving technical / integrity concerns;
- Work with Integrity Crossings to complete crossing surface loading assessment for temporary and permanent road locations to ensure the locations meet CSA Z662 and identify remedial work required for regulatory compliance and longterm pipeline integrity;
- Communicate with the developer on the remedial work requirements and the cost estimate;
- Negotiate with third parties regarding their design based on Integrity SME feedback;
- Complete Master Plan entries to coordinate / manage the remedial work recommended;
- Close out the application by ensuring the design is approved and complete the crossing agreement approvals.
Qualifications and Education
- Understanding of pipeline integrity and safety – to provide due diligence
- Engineering governance – to ensure safety and compliance
- Communication – to ensure stakeholders are satisfied
- Negotiations – to ensure a compliant design is agreed upon
- Organization / detailed oriented – tracking acceptability and changes of various items proposed within design plans: irrigation, fences, walls etc.
- Business process improvement – for efficiency and effectiveness
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Materials or Petroleum);
- A preference of at least 10 years of related experience;
- PMP certification recommended but not required.
*This position requires candidates to:
- have and maintain a valid Driver’s License;
- provide a Driver’s Abstract for review;
- have or obtain the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC);
- successfully complete a pre-employment medical screening, including drug and alcohol testing;
- This position requires candidates to have API 1169 certification with preference given those who do;
- This position will require the ability to travel across borders and as such the candidate must be able to provide applicable documentation to this affect.
*Depending on the qualifications of the applicants, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
Applicants who require accommodation at any stage of the application process or if you would like additional information regarding TransCanada’s accommodation policies please contact email@example.com.
All positions require background screening. Some include criminal and/or credit checks in order to comply with regulations.
Please apply to this posting by 01/21/2018. To apply, go to jobs.transcanada.com and enter reference code 46383. Only applications submitted through the TransCanada Careers website will be acknowledged.
TransCanada is an equal opportunity employer.
Make what you do matter.
At TransCanada we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 65 years, we’ve had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to the world. From supplying reliable and efficient energy to millions of North Americans with our pipelines, gas storage and power generation facilities, we believe in making big things possible.
TransCanada is looking for people who are willing to think about the future…and think big. We’re looking for people who are ready to take on the most significant challenges of their careers and define energy infrastructure in North America.
Thank you for choosing TransCanada in your career search.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.transcanada.com/job/Calgary-Project-Manager-Urban-Development-AB/451109700/?feedId=null&utm_source=J2WRSS&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=J2W_RSS →