Vertex is currently accepting applications for full-time Safety Advisor in Grande Prairie, Alberta. The successful candidate will provide responsibility and accountability with safety practices and procedures. This position will work with the Corporate Safety Manager and the safety team to assist and provide ongoing direction and expertise that contributes to a company culture, behavior and expectation that “all accidents can be prevented”.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a safety related field; education combined with experience will also be considered
- Strong knowledge of OH&S legislation and regulations
- Minimum National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) completed, Post-secondary education in an OHS related field will be considered an asset
- Experience with a Transportation business in necessary
- Experience in an industrial or environmental business environment is an asset
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout Alberta and British Columbia
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong customer service and a team player skill
- Proven administrative experience including strong proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Exceptional organization and attention to detail skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a driver’s abstract
- Conduct incident investigations and recommend corrective/preventative measures
- Carry out field inspections in compliance with OH&S and the Vertex Safety Management System
- Prepare WCB claims information and injury management documentation
- Work with the safety team, managers and site supervision to provide a clear outline of safety requirements by job classification and work site location
- Attend and participate in client meetings
- Promote a culture where health and safety are core values with staff, contractors and clients
- Respond and provide advice to all departments with health and safety, and provide training as required
- Lead, direct and support the safety activities and initiatives undertaken in the Safety Management System
- Identify high risk areas of the business; develop and implement programs to decrease or eliminate risk in these areas
- Assist with updating and maintaining safety registries such as ISNetworld and ComplyWorks
- Ensure ERP’s are up to date, posted, communicated to employees and effective within area of responsibility
- Assist with the development and rollout of new programs and procedures
- Ensure formal safety meetings are being conducted at a minimum as per the Vertex Safety Management System
- Ensure employees and management are aware of the PPE requirements and that management enforce them;
- Review safe work practices/procedures to ensure relevance
- Train/promote to employees, supervisors, managers to follow, review, enforce practices and procedure;
- Perform periodic reviews to ensure equipment is being inspected as per manufacturer specs and Vertex guidelines
- Ensure worksite inspections are completed as per the Vertex Safety Management System
- Ensure all work locations have a clear understanding of the A&D Policy guidelines
- Assist with external audits (ex. COR, client) as required, and conduct internal corporate compliance audits
- Participate and present safety training at regularly scheduled operations meetings when necessary
This position will be based out of our Grande Prairie, AB office. This position will involve travel.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill-set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.