Reporting to the Manager, Engineering, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will apply knowledge and expertise to identify and mitigate potential safety, reliability, maintainability, or operational problems and to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient operation of our pressure equipment and piping assets. In this role, you will develop and maintain technical specifications and guidelines, support engineering design of new assets and projects, and provide overall technical leadership for mechanical and piping engineering.
This position is based in Calgary, and requires, as needed, travel to Company’s operating site for an extended duration.
- Act as an expert resource in the area of mechanical and piping engineering for other teams in the Company.
- Interface between teams to ensure mechanical and piping issues, which could affect facility operations and system reliability, are prioritized appropriately and addressed before impacts become more severe.
- Review and approve engineering contractor’s deliverables and technical deviations, attend design reviews, and perform technical supervision on external consultants and contractors.
- Develop and review mechanical and piping design, material requisitions, drawings, and engineering work packages.
- Develop and maintain project engineering specifications, standards and procedures.
- Maintain plans and procedures to ensure the corporate mechanical and piping engineering documentations’ compliance to applicable codes, standards, regulations and best industry practice.
- Respond to operational issues, coordinate management of change projects, participate in small projects, and interface with major capital project teams.
- Provide engineering support to ensure facility integrity and cost effective operations.
- Participate in failure investigations and root cause analysis of discrete events.
- Ensure PetroChina Canada and/or industry lessons learned are shared and incorporated in designs and practices.
- Professional Mechanical Engineer registered with APEGA.
- 15+ years’ engineering experience in the oil & gas industry.
- 3+ years of field experience troubleshooting in an operating plant.
- Knowledge of pressure equipment/piping design, damage mechanisms, and inspection and repair strategies, including assessment of fitness-for-service.
- Familiar with API, ASME, NACE, CSA, and other relevant codes and standards, as well as jurisdictional and legal requirements for pressure equipment and piping.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, scheduling and organizational skills.
- Exhibits strong analytical, trouble shooting, problem solving, and computer skills.
- Good at critical thinking, operations analysis, and decision making.
- Ability to work in fast paced, flexible environment. A self-starter with attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel to and work at site for an extended duration as needed.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
To apply for this job please visit petrochinacanada.startdate.ca.