Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Senior Soil Specialist in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate must be a critical thinker with strong writing skills and a keen eye for details who is able to understand the perspectives of various stakeholders involved in our work. The successful candidate will have previous field experience, including report writing and project management that focuses on baseline soil inventory and classification, soil and terrain mapping, soil conservation and reclamation planning reporting, soil salvage and reclamation monitoring, well site reclamation including pre-reclamation assessments, and land reclamation as it relates to conventional oil and gas, peat harvesting operations, in-situ oil sands, pipelines and coal and oil sands mines. Vertex is looking for a flexible team player to embrace our company’s culture and produce innovative ideas that will strengthen our existing processes and procedures while maintaining the level of consistency required within the organization.
- Diploma or higher post-secondary education in, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Reclamation, Natural Resource Management or other applicable field
- 7-10 years of applied soil science and reclamation
- Experience in training and mentoring junior and intermediate staff in area of expertise
- Registered member with a relevant professional organization preferred
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret applicable environmental regulations, guidelines and standards for Western Canada
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian soils, vegetation, and reclamation practices
- Project management, leadership, self-motivation, communication and decision-making skills an asset
- Strong command of the English language including but not limited to excellent writing, grammar, spelling and formatting
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Attention to detail and experience preparing well-designed, error-free documents
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and provide recommendations to clients
- Ability to adapt project management strategies to different timelines, company structures and budgets an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, and Access databases
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 40-50% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Design and Implement environmental monitoring & inspection for linear and Oil Sands projects
- Soil baseline inventory in conjunction with environmental monitoring and vegetation baseline assessments
- Reclamation planning, management and oversight for conventional oil and gas as well large-scale facilities
- Management of Sand and Gravel regulatory and biophysical project components including reporting and regulatory liaison
- Regulatory submissions related to Peat Harvesting, PDAs, and EPEA related reporting
- Reporting (All types, style and formats within Vertex)
- Responsible for project coordination, cost control and project scoping to ensure effectively versatile solutions are developed to meet client’s regulatory needs and budget
- Responsible for both field and office execution of environmental projects
- Responsible for proposal writing and budgeting for various R&D and soil related projects, as required
- Responsible for mentoring and training Vertex staff conducting field soil assessment and survey work
- Responsible to build both internal and external relationships within Vertex, with regulators and clients to effectively develop and manage projects within the environmental business unit.
- Keep up to date on industry guidelines and regulatory requirements as it relates to reclamation and revegetation for various provinces in Canada
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected by field personnel
- Create documentation templates, review and revise content and present information in a concise format
- Manage and build high performing teams to address client and industry requirements related to soil inventory, baseline evaluation, PDAs, agricultural business, and reclamation and soil handling programs throughout Western Canada
This position will be based out of our Sherwood Park, Alberta office.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- RRSP Plan
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. MST on July 23, 2020.
Applications submitted after this date may not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.