Start Date: May 2020 – August 2020
Length: 4 months
Location: Sherwood Park (and various other locations)
Closing Date: March 16, 2020
Are you a motivated student who wants to learn more about the constantly evolving environmental consulting business and acquire ‘hands-on’ experience in the field? Do you thrive to be part of a critical and creative thinking team which begins and ends each day with the relentless execution of making a difference in the environmental sector? Are looking to join an environmentally focused organization that values integrity and where safety is the foundation of every decision? If yes, then we are looking for you!
Under the supervision of the Project Manager this position is responsible for assisting with conducting field work relating to environmental site assessments and reclamation projects, remediation and groundwater projects and wetland or wildlife projects. Join our team of industry leaders and make a difference!
As part of the team you will:
- Support reclamation/remediation team[s] and gain exposure to all or some aspects of reclamation including Phase I, Environmental Site Assessments (ESA’s), Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs); Detailed Site Assessments (DSA) to assess soils and vegetation; and Wetland Assessments
- Support and gain experience in ecological research, wildlife conservation and habitat stewardship
- Assist in report writing and project–related correspondence
- Significant field work activities (approximately 90% – subject to project workload)
- Hands-on experience with several industry software programs, including Accumap, Adabata, ARC GIS
- Data management (data tables, photographs, inputting field data sheets)
- Participate and attend team meetings, write and/or review research reports
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (i.e. hot, cold, rain and snow)
- Positive and inquisitive attitude with the acceptance to learn from others
- Should be able-bodied as the work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; lifting; recurring bending or similar activities.
- Other fieldwork as required by your manager
What you bring to the team:
- Student enrolled in Environmental, Natural or Soil Science Diploma or Degree program
- Experience in Upstream Oil and Gas remediation and reclamation is an asset
- Knowledge of Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA); Detailed Site Assessments (DSA) to assess soils, vegetation and wildlife
- Knowledge and/or experience in wetlands assessments is an asset
- Knowledge and/or experience with Vegetation Monitoring and Weed Management Programs an asset
- Strong documentation, note-taking skills, attention to detail and asset
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines and standards
- Possess a valid Canadian Driver’s License
- Able to navigate in remote areas using compass and GPS (GPS training will be available)
- Training or experience with ARGO’s or other UTV’s would be an asset
- Ability to carry out a variety of assigned tasks in both field and office settings
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- A strong working knowledge of computers and relevant software (Microsoft Office)
- Self-motivated, a team player and a high level of energy.
- This position will be based out of Sherwood Park and travel will be required.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Competitive Salary
- Apply what you learned in school in the real environmental consulting business
- Chats/coffee with leaders in the industry
- Four -month work term, beginning of May 2020 to the end of August 2020
- Technical and leadership training to ensure you work successfully and safely
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill-set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying please indicate the following information on your application:
Job Requisition: 003-271
Job Title: Summer Student – Environmental
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. MST on March 16, 2020. Applications submitted after this date may not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.