SUMMIT, An Earth Services Company is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join the Environmental Planning & Management (EPM) Division as a Project Manager (Competition #21-04-0404) in Calgary, Alberta. Reporting to the EPM Manager, the Project Manager is responsible for planning and managing environmental projects, completing and supervising baseline assessments, permitting, and environmental monitoring/inspection projects. A thorough understanding and working knowledge of Alberta’s provincial regulatory and permitting system is required for success in this position. Approximately 10 to 25% of field work and travel is required in this role.
Primary duties include managing projects for the oil and gas, power and utilities, mining, rail, land development, and renewable energy sectors. The Project Manager will be a group leader, mentoring staff conducting environmental assessments, impact assessments, wildlife surveys, wildlife data analysis and management, vegetation identification/surveys, aquatic (QAES) assessments, species-at-risk surveys, wetland assessments as per the Alberta Wetland Policy, and interpretation and assessment of wildlife and fish species habitat. Additional responsibilities include senior technical report review and professional sign-off, leading field programs (that may include construction and post-construction monitoring), and communicating as primary contact with clients, and supporting business development activities (e.g., new client meetings, writing proposals). As a leader in the EPM division, the Project Manager will have direct reports including biologists (junior to senior), contractors and administrative support.
You will be supported by the entire Summit organization which consists of a dynamic team of technical administrators, business development professionals, an in-house IT, GIS/drafting department and many other highly experienced, skilled and educated professionals including engineers, agrologists, biologists, and chemists.
- 10 years of relevant experience.
- A University degree (B.Sc. or M.Sc.) in Ecology, Biology, or Environmental Sciences.
- Registered member of the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists, or ability to obtain this credential.
- Registered Professional Biologist with British Columbia’s College of Applied Biology, or ability to obtain considered an asset.
- QAES and Authenticating Wetland Professional designations considered assets.
- Knowledge of the Alberta Wetland Policy and the requirements of the Government of Alberta’s Professional Practice Standards for sign-off on wetland assessments.
- Experience with and knowledge of regulatory agencies, including (but not limited to): Canada Energy Regulator (CER), Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), Alberta Energy Regulator (AER), Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP), Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC), Indian Oil and Gas Commission (IOGC), Special Areas Board (SAB), and Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC).
- Experience with Alberta Public Lands Act permitting.
- Experience designing and planning projects using the Alberta Sensitive Species Inventory Guidelines, AER Directives 035 and 056, AEP Wildlife Directives for both wind energy and solar energy projects, SAB Environmental Review process, Alberta Transportation Fish Habitat Manual, Alberta Water Act code of practice, as well as IOGC Environmental Review and Audit applications.
- Experience managing environmental monitoring/inspection on large scale linear projects.
- Ability to represent Summit during discussions with internal and external clients
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and technical reporting skills with exceptional accuracy and attention to detail.
Summit, An Earth Services Company has become the industry leader in the environmental services sector with operations in Canada, the United States and Australia. Our company focuses on offering turnkey environmental management solutions to clients across various industries.
Summit’s vision is to build a great company with exceptional people to preserve and restore our natural environment.
If your passion and experience align with this vision, then Summit is for you! Visit our website, www.summitearth.com, for job postings.
We appreciate your interest in working with Summit. Due to the volume of applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your applications and letters of interest in confidence directly to email@example.com
This position will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.