Team Lead, Indigenous Relations, Canada (Liquids)
Reference Code: 66390
Location: Canada (CA) – Calgary, AB
Job Category: Community/Land/Aboriginal Relations; Management
Employment Type: Employee Full-time
Relocation Eligibility: This position is eligible for our domestic relocation program
Application Deadline: 04/06/2020
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. TC Energy’s job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities. We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and commitment.
The Indigenous Relations Team Lead (IR Team Lead) is responsible for providing guidance and implementing TC Energy’s IR Program, IR Policy and IR Strategy to ensure effective engagement with Indigenous groups and organizations to support access to land, project development and asset maintenance.
As a member of the IR team, the IR Team Lead is responsible for developing and implementing engagement strategies and plans to support the Keystone XL Pipeline Project and liquids capital projects, by providing day-to-day direction to the IR Engagement Team. The successful candidate will be highly skilled in building relationships, facilitating open dialogue, managing issues and concerns, and maintaining accurate engagement and evidentiary documentation for IR, in compliance with Federal, Provincial and local regulatory bodies. The successful candidate will also interact with various internal stakeholder groups, such as Regulatory Law, Environment, Land, Indigenous Law, and Project Execution team, as well as external stakeholders to ensure TC Energy meets regulatory requirements related to engagement and consultation.
The IR Team Lead will be responsible for leading efforts to establish and maintain relationships with Indigenous groups and organizations. The successful candidate will also contribute to the establishment of our corporate reputation and name recognition green field areas of development for TC Energy.
This role reports to the Senior Manager, Indigenous Relations.
What you’ll do
- Contribute to the ongoing building and mentoring of a high performing team of technical experts and professionals to provide timely, coordinated and comprehensive support to business client groups
- Lead development of strategies and plans to actively engage with Indigenous groups to establish and maintain positive relationships to support regulatory processes, facilitate information sharing, identify opportunities for collaboration, address issues and concerns, and deliver community legacy and education & training initiatives
- Lead negotiations with communities on project engagement agreements/work plans; monitor and manage the close out of engagement commitments
- Ensure the evidentiary record of engagement with Indigenous groups, representatives and members is maintained and accurate to support regulatory filings and ongoing relationship building
- Support internal stakeholders, such as environment and land, working with Indigenous groups to develop mitigation measures to support project development, as required
- Maintain an understanding of legislative, regulatory and legal case developments as they relate to Indigenous groups. May report and update internal stakeholders on emerging issues, trends, and evolving regulatory requirements that could have a material impact on our lines of business
- Post-secondary education, a degree or business diploma in a relevant field, such as Environment, Indigenous Studies, Archaeology, Anthropology, Community Development, or Law, from a recognized institution is required
- 10+ years of progressive experience in Indigenous Relations or related field
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Proven people-leadership, program and resource management abilities
- Knowledge of the Federal and Provincial regulatory processes and consultation guidelines in Canada
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong respectful relationships with a variety of groups, from the grassroots to senior levels, both internally and externally
- Proven negotiation and diplomacy skills
- Strong facilitation and influencing abilities
- Ability to work independently to accomplish priorities based on broad objectives in a continuously evolving context
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and in written with the ability to effectively present to a variety of audiences
- Strong pipeline and /or oil /gas business acumen
- High energy and ability to work in a dynamic and diverse team environment
Additional role requirements
- Driving a motor vehicle is an essential job function of this position. Following a conditional offer of employment, the Company will check the motor vehicle records of any job applicant when driving is an essential job function
- In the performance of this role, travel of up to 30% will be required
- Successful completion of Security Clearance/Criminal Check may be required
About our business
The Keystone XL Pipeline offers a safe, reliable and environmentally responsible way to deliver crude oil to markets in the U.S. The project, which will run from Hardisty, Alberta, to Steele City, Nebraska, will play a central role in promoting North American energy security, create thousands of jobs and provide economic benefits to many communities along its route.
Apply to this posting by 04/06/2020 using reference code 66390. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Applications may be submitted using a mobile device or a desktop / laptop computer.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
* TC Energy is committed to provide employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats or communication supports by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.tcenergy.com.