Requisition Id: 22586
Department: Transmission Pipeline Unit
Where there is growth, there is opportunity! Reporting to the Senior Vice President & Chief Operating Officer (COO) for the Pipelines Division of Pembina Pipeline Corporation, the Vice President (VP), Transmission Business Unit (TBU) will lead the Business Unit and associated teams.
Pembina’s Transmission Pipeline assets have been developed through the strategic acquisition of key transportation infrastructure assets, positioned in some of the most prolific producing regions in western Canada and the United States. TBU’s primary long-haul transmission pipeline assets include the AEGS, Cochin, Alliance, Vantage and Ruby pipeline systems.
The VP, TBU (Transmission Business Unit) is broadly responsible for all aspects of TBU’s commercial and physical operations, including financial reporting, performance measurement, operations, engineering, business development and customer service. As a member of the Executive team, the VP, TBU will take on a highly visible and strategic role for the Corporation and the Transmission Business Unit. This position is also responsible for the business unit performance related to environmental, health, safety, operational compliance, remediation, and asset integrity programs.
The VP, TBU will assist the COO, to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies for the benefit of all four Pembina stakeholder groups (shareholders, employees, customers, and communities) specifically as it relates to TBU. The position will be based in Calgary, Alberta with travel required.
Summary of Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities, deliverables and accountabilities include and are not limited to:
Characteristics, Soft-Skills and Attributes:
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills (both verbal and written) to internal and external stakeholder groups;
- Creative thinker with a dynamic approach in evaluating opportunities that align with Pembina’s corporate strategy;
- Strong analytical mind with fundamental views and knowledge of energy supply/demand dynamics and competitive pipeline assets;
- Strong diplomacy and ability to engage, communicate and influence diverse audiences;
- Active listener who is adept at understanding competing agendas, building consensus and rapidly moving issues forward in a constructive manner; and
- Thinks and acts strategically; grasps complex ideas and issues; can evaluate and act on alternatives solutions quickly and concisely.
As part of Pembina’s Senior Leadership team, this role will add meaningful input and value to all TBU dealings by continuing to:
- Develop and execute an effective Business Unit strategy enhancing long term sustainable growth and shareholder value, aligned to the broader corporate strategies;
- Provide leadership and development to an existing, high performing team and maintain a plan for employee development, continuity, succession, and engagement; as well as supporting Pembina’s equity, inclusion and diversity plan;
- Provide strategic direction to business unit relating to Joint Venture companies while maximizing Pembina’s value of the associated assets and ensuring alignment with Pembina’s strategies and policies;
- Deliver upon annual budgets including and not limited to; revenue, operating costs, capital, G&A & ROIC while maintaining safe and reliable operations;
- Contribute to the economic and social well-being of the communities in which we live and work and partner with customers to understand their needs and business drivers, generating value;
- Present materials and recommendations related to commercial strategies, business development opportunities, engineering, EH&S and operational activities within TBU at board meetings;
- Provide the Board with a view of upstream industry activity and trends as they relate to drilling, land sales and new plays and their impact on all Pembina operations;
- Advance strategic initiatives and objectives related to TBU as described in the corporate 10-year plan and board sanctioned objectives;
- Establish clear and insightful performance measures and track progress on key strategic initiatives; Develop and execute on TBU growth opportunities, identify, and reduce external threats to TBU’s base business and growth potential;
- Work collaboratively with other business and service units to identify, develop, and implement value-added corporate opportunities;
- As a key spokesperson for the organization, articulate Pembina’s story to counterparties, partners, government and regulatory officials as required providing an accurate and articulate reflection of Pembina’s strategies and forward-looking opportunities;
- Lead people by demonstrating strong leadership qualities, values and integrity and, through these behavior’s, shaping the culture, strategy and vision for the business unit and organization while supporting Pembina’s diversity plan; and
- Lead the Safety culture to all Pembina Employees as well as to internal and external contractors across all business unit.
Operational Efficiency & Project Execution:
- Ensure TBU assets are operated as cost-effectively as possible, and in manner that supports long-life operations;
- Focus cost management and optimization efforts on labour cost behavior and comprehensive long-term maintenance and integrity programs;
- Ensure project development and design are conducted at or above industry standards and in accordance with Pembina’s established specifications;
- Develop and maintain enhanced engineering and project execution capabilities for capital and expense projects;
- Develop strategies to improve overall project success relative to key performance indicators such as cost, schedule, EH&S performance and Pembina’s project management guidelines;
- Deliver capital projects on time and on budget;
- Develop and maintain accurate short and long term TBU financial planning and forecast models; and
- Ensure all key TBU pipeline assets and individual capital projects meet or exceed Pembina’s established investment criteria.
- 20+ years’ experience in the energy infrastructure and upstream industry, with a proven track record in the commercial and physical operations of large-scale infrastructure assets;
- Undergraduate degree in business, finance, accounting, engineering or another relevant discipline;
- A current perspective and understanding of the regulatory landscape related to Pembina’s business in North America and the ability to formulate commercial and business development strategies considering the evolving political and regulatory dynamics facing the industry;
- Strong understanding of customer’s resource, development plans, type curves and corporate profitability;
- Must possess substantial executive and leadership experience along with a proven track record of value creation supporting commercial growth within the broader oil and gas and energy infrastructure business;
- Strong strategic and business judgment, with superior commercial skills combined with abilities to creatively think “outside the box”;
- The individual must have a strong track record of value creation through the identification of new venture activities;
- Engage and operate with a complex set of internal and external stakeholders including partners, customers, employees, board members, investors, and regulatory bodies; and
- Proven ability to gain broad support and buy-in for initiatives, leveraging relationships with key senior stakeholders.
Final candidate will be required to undergo a background check; including a criminal record check.
No agency calls please.
Pembina Pipeline Corporation is committed to diversity, equal opportunity and ensuring that our employees have the ability to thrive in an inclusive environment. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, veteran status, Indigenous status, national origin, age, disability or any other legally-protected factors. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request during the recruitment process.
For more than 65 years, Pembina has safely and reliably served North America’s energy industry, delivering oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids production to North American markets.
Powering Pembina’s growth are our smart, creative and energetic people who allow us to remain a disciplined and responsible energy transportation and service provider and a trusted member in our communities.
Our expectations are high and our rewards reflect this: We treat our people well – whether it’s through our compensation package, community engagement and volunteer opportunities, or our numerous social activities.
Pembina provides everything you could want in an employer. We are a proud recipient of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2018-2021), Alberta’s Top Employers (2014-2021), Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2019), and an Employer Partner of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion. We are also a strong supporter of Skills Canada.
To apply for this job please visit careers.pembina.com.