Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Wetland Specialist in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate will have experience within various disciplines with a focus on wetland assessments for small and large-scale projects and experience performing assessments across western Canada. We are looking for a team player that enjoys a dynamic work environment, competitive hourly rate, benefits package, and a desire to thrive and excel in an engaged and collective environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aquatic Biology, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Fish and Wildlife or related field
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience as a Wetland Specialist or related field; some of which must include environmental consulting
- A registered member with a relevant professional organization (i.e. P.Biol.) and registration as an R.P.Bio. under College of Applied Biology would be considered an asset
- Working towards becoming a, Authenticating Wetland Practitioner as per the Alberta Environment and Parks Professional Practice Standards a strong asset.
- Strong understanding of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines, requirements, and standards (i.e. Alberta Water Act, Wetland Policy, Public Lands Act and Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act)
- Understanding of aquatic ecosystems in Western Canada
- Demonstrated experience with wetland delineation and Wetland Assessment Impact reporting under the Alberta Wetland Policy
- Proven experience with wetland delineation and Wetland Assessment Impact reporting under the Alberta Wetland Policy
- Experience with wetland desktop mapping
- Proven vegetation identification skills
- Strong leadership skills to lead, manager and conduct various projects and related work
- Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving, research, and oral presentation skills; strong written communication skills
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations for extended periods of time throughout Western Canada
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Valid driver’s license with a clean abstract
- Industry safety tickets (H2S Alive, First Aid, Ground Disturbance)
- Plan, manage and conduct wetland assessments for a wide range of projects including pipeline, padsite, access roads and peat harvesting projects
- Conduct water quality monitoring and construction monitoring for horizontal directional drilling pipeline crossings
- Assist with assessments and mapping for various types of developments including but not limited to upstream and downstream oil and gas; mining; forestry and agriculture
- Demonstrate knowledge of provincial and federal aquatic legislation and regulatory agencies (i.e. Water Act, Public Lands Act, Environmental Enhancement and Protection Act, Species at Risk Act, Migratory Birds Convention Act and Fisheries Act) Knowledge of the British Columbia regulatory environment is considered an asset
- Assist in the development of environmental impact assessments, biological monitoring plans, enhanced protection plan and environmental assessments
- Prepare technical reports associated with regulatory approvals or compliance requirements
- Other related duties as assigned by the manager
- This position will be based out of our Calgary, office with field work in remote locations throughout Alberta and British Columbia.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- Potential for Employee RRSP Profit Sharing
- Learning and development opportunities
- A culture of performance and accountability
- A supportive and positive team environment
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill–set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.*
To apply for this job please visit vertex.ca.