Requisition Id: 24905
Department: Safety (Vancouver Wharves) Area
Pembina Pipeline Corporation’s Vancouver Wharves terminal is recruiting for a Safety Advisor to join the team. This position reports to the Supervisor of Safety based at the terminal in North Vancouver. The Safety Advisor role is part of the Technical Services Unit (TSU) and Pembina’s Corporate Services division. Working safely is a way of life at Pembina. The foundation of our success is the safety of our people. We aim to minimize incidents with our corporate safety culture of “Zero by Choice” and believe our employees can achieve this by recognizing that “Safety Starts with Me”.
Summary of Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
The primary responsibility of the Safety Advisor is to work collaboratively to implement and manage proactive prevention initiatives to further improve performance and ensure compliance with regulatory, industry, and corporate standards.
- Champion safe, and cost-effective preventative and loss management approaches in day-to-day operations and projects to minimize potential losses and ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate policies, standards, procedures, practices, etc;
- Work collaboratively with Operations management, staff, and contractors to build a strong safety culture;
- Act as a peer safety coach and mentor for staff and contractors;
- Conduct and/or review hazard assessments for higher-risk activities such as confined space entry and on construction projects;
- Provide on-site Safety, Security and Emergency Management (SSEM) assistance and ensure appropriate controls and resources are in place;
- Ensure all applicable OH&S, Canada Labour Code and relevant company policies and procedures are communicated as per regulatory requirements to all individuals at the facility;
- Perform or participate in various internal and/or external inspect audits and reviews, including, but not limited to, site inspections, lockout-tagout, safety culture, contractor spot checks, emergency management, security etc;
- Assist in the review, development, and documentation of field procedures to ensure Pembina’s operational activities meet regulatory and corporate safety requirements;
- Participate actively in area safety meetings and provide regular presentations on “Key Safety Topics” and follow up on the safety-related items identified at the meetings;
- Coordinate updates and development of SSEM Standards and Learnings from Incidents;
- Liaise with third party project safety inspectors and provide periodic project safety oversight;
- Review and assist with incident investigations, development of corrective actions and reporting;
- Serve as the field safety liaison for internal or external parties; and
- Particiapate and support and equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace.
- 5-10 years of industry experience in the safety discipline preferably within the terminal, facilities, or pipeline operations industry;
- Designation or completion of one of the following is an asset: Canadian Registered Safety Professional (Preferred); Certified Safety Professional (CSP); Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST); Occupational Health and Safety Diploma or certificate;
- Strong knowledge of applicable industry safety requirements, standards, policies, and procedures including those of Canada Labour Code, COSH, MOSH and WCB;
- Industrial hygiene experience is an asset;
- Experience working within a Union environment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including an ability to interface positively with field, engineering, and business unit personnel;
- Knowledge of rail operations safety is an asset;
- Working knowledge of MS Office and demonstrated aptitude working with other business-related computer programs and applications; and
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
This position is considered “Safety Sensitive” so will require Pre-Employment Drug & Alcohol Testing. You may also be required to provide a Driver’s Abstract.
The successful candidate must live within 100 km of insert to Vancouver, BC.
We offer competitive compensation; including base plus incentive bonus, pension & savings plans, health benefits, employee development programs to support personal development and career progression and, a hybrid work arrangement, in an environment that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive.
Final candidate will be required to undergo a background check; including a criminal record check.
No agency calls please.
Pembina Pipeline Corporation is committed to diversity, equal opportunity and ensuring that our employees have the ability to thrive in an inclusive environment. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, veteran status, Indigenous status, national origin, age, disability or any other legally-protected factors. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request during the recruitment process.
For more than 65 years, Pembina has safely and reliably served North America’s energy industry, delivering oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids production to North American markets.
Powering Pembina’s growth are our smart, creative and energetic people who allow us to remain a disciplined and responsible energy transportation and service provider and a trusted member in our communities.
Our expectations are high and our rewards reflect this: We treat our people well – whether it’s through our compensation package, community engagement or volunteer opportunities.
Pembina provides everything you could want in an employer. We are a proud recipient of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2018-2022), Alberta’s Top Employers (2014-2022) and an Employer Partner of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion. We are also a strong supporter of Skills Canada.